What Can an Ophthalmologist Diagnose?
Ophthalmologists are highly trained medical professionals who’ve specialized in the diagnosis and treatment of eye conditions. They’re the highest grade of eye doctors and, as such, are the people that a general physician or optician will refer patients to if they’re concerned about any kind of visual health.
However, many other non-eye-related health conditions might be picked up during an eye examination.
The following looks at some of the different eye conditions that an ophthalmologist can diagnose and treat, plus some of the health conditions that they might discover during a regular eye examination. We think that some of them might surprise you…
The Diagnosis and Treatment of Common Eye Conditions
- From cataracts to myopia
From cataracts to myopia
There are many conditions that an ophthalmologist can treat. Those that are directly related to the eye include:
- Cataracts: These will be monitored and removed when the time is deemed right.
- Diabetic retinopathy: A sight-threatening condition that all diabetics need to be monitored for.
- Macular degeneration: A condition that tends to develop as we get older and can have a dramatically detrimental effect on eyesight.
- Retina conditions: Such as retinal detachment and tears in the retina.
- Dry eye and allergies: These can cause misery in those who suffer. An ophthalmologist can help with a variety of treatments.
- Shortsightedness, longsightedness, and astigmatism: Common conditions that can be treated with corrective lenses and/or laser vision correction.
Other Health Conditions Diagnosed by Ophthalmologists from West Palm Beach to Alaska
- 10 eye-related conditions diagnosed by Ophthalmologists from West Palm Beach to Alaska
10 eye-related conditions diagnosed by Ophthalmologists from West Palm Beach to Alaska
One thing that many people don’t realize is that many other health conditions can be detected from an eye exam. This is because the tissues, nerves, and blood vessels within the eyes provide a snapshot of what’s going on within the body as a whole. In many cases, serious health conditions first show signs within the eye, making your eye doctor a key clinician in your overall health monitoring.
The following are just some of the health problems that’ve been picked up by ophthalmologists across the country:
- Heart disease: Signs of this can be evident when an eye doctor examines the retina.
- Hypertension: This can cause the blood vessels within the eye to become deformed or to bleed.
- High cholesterol: Often noticed as a blue or yellow ring around the cornea.
- Multiple sclerosis: An inflamed optic nerve can be a sign of this disease.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Symptoms are often picked up within the eyes, including inflammation of the white of the eyes (scleritis), dry eye, or deep pain within the eye.
- Sickle cell disease: A genetic condition that can cause burst blood vessels within the eye, retinal detachment, or hemorrhages.
- Stroke: Strokes can cause blockages of the retinal blood vessels, causing sudden blind spots or decreasing vision.
- Brain tumor: If pressure is increased within the brain this can cause swelling in the back of the eye. Double vision or other changes can also be a symptom.
- Vitamin A deficiency: Often diagnosed when a patient complains of dry eye or night blindness. A wholly preventable condition and one that’s a common cause of childhood blindness.
- STDs: Sexually transmitted diseases can show symptoms with the different layers of the eye. Some are serious, such as HIV, gonorrhoea, herpes, and chlamydia.
The key takeaway from this is that routine eye exams should make up a pivotal element of whole-body health. Partnering with a trusted eye doctor for vision checks is something that we should all ensure we do regularly.
Need an Ophthalmologist? West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, or the South Florida Region? You need the WBEC
The diagnosis of eye-related and other health conditions is something that all the clinicians at the West Boca Eye Center are passionate about. Not only does this highly qualified team provide expert treatment for a wide variety of eye conditions, and surgery for cataracts and laser vision correction, but they also excel at picking up the unusual during regular eye checks.
Such early detection is key to the treatment of such potentially serious conditions. Just another reason why you shouldn’t neglect the routine eye checks that we should all have carried out.
Visit https://westbocaeyecenter.com/locations/west-palm-beach/ and book your eye check today.