Decrease Eye Strain From Staring At Screens
We’re all guilty of too much screen time. The past 18 months of the pandemic has, for many, only exacerbated the issue. From endless Teams meetings to the ubiquitous family Zoom quiz, there’s been an explosion in those suffering from eye strain.
Thankfully, there are steps you can take that will decrease the symptoms of eye strain caused by staring at screens.
Why Does Screen Use Cause Eye Strain?
- What is eye strain?
- The problem with excessive screen staring
What is eye strain?
Eye strain is the term used to describe a group of symptoms that occur when your eyes become tired, usually from extensive use. Excessive screen use is a common cause, as is driving for long periods or reading in poor light.
The problem with excessive screen staring
When we stare at a computer screen, TV, phone, or tablet we naturally stop blinking as much. Many of us view digital devices at less than favorable distances, plus there’s often a poor contrast between the background and text or images we’re looking at. Add in the glare and reflective properties of a screen and you’ve got a perfect storm for tired, strained eyes.
Common symptoms include:
- Excessive watering
- A burning or itching sensation
- Dry eyes
- Double or blurred vision
- A headache
- Sore neck and shoulders
7 Ways to Reduce Monitor Eye Strain
- 7 easy ways to reduce eye strain from excessive screen staring
7 easy ways to reduce eye strain from excessive screen staring
Thankfully, most symptoms of eye strain from screen staring disappear when we look away and, most importantly, stay away for an extended period. However, many of us simply swap the screen we stare at, choosing instead to gaze at the TV or our cell.
For many of us, life dictates many hours a day staring at the screen. If this is you, then following these 7 easy steps can dramatically reduce the symptoms of eye strain.
- Ensure the best quality display: Use the latest technology to ensure that you don’t have a flickering screen. Old-style monitors can play havoc on the eyes as they flicker constantly. Use a screen with the highest resolution possible and, if possible, a screen size of at least 19 inches.
- Adjust your computer settings: Enlarge text size if necessary. View documents with black print on a white background. Ensure optimal brightness (not too light, not too dull, or grey).
- Exercise your eyes: Ensure you look away from the screen at least every 20 minutes and focus on something about 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This is known as the 20-20-20 rule. Another exercise is to look at something close up for 15 seconds, then something far away for 15 seconds. Repeat x 10.
- Blink – a lot! We blink less frequently when staring at a screen. This allows the natural moisture of the eyes (tears) to dry out. This can lead to dry eye symptoms.
- Use effective lighting: Not too harsh and not too dim. Bright light can be from artificial sources or streaming sunlight. Close curtains and blinds if the light is coming from outside and switch off unnecessary overhead lights.
- Have regular, frequent breaks: This should be a minimum of 10 minutes per hour and should be a complete break from anything that strains your eyes. Go for a walk, make a coffee, have a chat with someone. Don’t swap one eye strain for another by reading something or checking your social media.
- Have an eye exam: This is by far the most important point. Not only will your eye doctor be able to check that you have no underlying problems, but they can advise on other methods to reduce eye strain from too much screen use.
Suffering from Eye Strain? Contact the WBEC Today for a Comprehensive Eye Exam
Eye strain is uncomfortable at best, and sight-damaging at worst, should there be an underlying problem. If you’ve not had a routine eye exam in the last 12 months, then you should book one as a matter of priority.
The West Boca Eye Center is the region’s premier facility for eye health. From routine checks, eye strain advice, right through to laser vision correction and cataract surgery, the expert clinicians are some of the best the world has to offer.
Visit https://westbocaeyecenter.com/services/routine-eye-care/ to find out more and get in touch today to book your consultation.