How To Select An Eye Doctor For Cataract Surgery
Cataract surgery is one of the most common eye-related surgery procedures carried out in the world. However, just because it’s routine for those who perform the procedure, that certainly doesn’t mean those who undergo it won’t feel anxious.
Selecting an eye doctor with whom you feel comfortable and who has extensive experience will go a long way to easing your nerves. The following discusses the questions you should ask your potential surgeon to ensure your cataract operation is not only successful but is also as stress-free as possible.
What to Look for in a Cataract Eye Doctor
- Cataract surgery is a specialist field of medicine
- Expertise vs. bedside manner
Cataract surgery is a specialist field of medicine
The first true cataract extraction was performed centuries ago—in 1747, to be exact. Today’s advanced procedures are far removed from this, with laser surgery and more traditional methods offering surgeons a plethora of methods to best suit individual situations.
This, combined with a variety of state-of-the-art lenses, means that pretty much every cataract situation can be addressed in a manner that’s virtually guaranteed to dramatically improve a person’s vision.
Expertise vs. bedside manner
When selecting an eye doctor for cataract surgery it is, of course, vital to know that they’re experienced in carrying out such procedures. However, it’s also crucial that you feel comfortable with the person who’s going to operate.
Human nature brings us many different characters. Some have a natural manner that puts us at ease, others are not so talented. An operation on your eyes—no matter how routine—is something that will naturally make you feel a little nervous. This makes it crucial that your chosen eye doctor can put you at ease and explain in layman’s terms exactly what will happen on the day.
Questions to Ask Your Potential Cataract Surgeon
- Interviewing your eye doctor
Interviewing your eye doctor
The term ‘interviewing’ may sound a little formal. But when you’re choosing the professional who’ll be responsible for improving your eyesight, this is exactly what you’ll be doing.
The following are some of the important questions that you should ask any potential eye doctor:
- Do you need the procedure? Numerous examinations should be carried out before you opt for surgery. Cataracts evolve very slowly over years. The best cataract surgeons monitor this, choosing the optimum time for the procedure to be carried out.
- What if both eyes have cataracts? It’s unlikely that both progress at the same rate. Most eye doctors will operate on one eye at a time, allowing for full healing on the first before doing the second.
- What if you have other underlying health conditions? The doctor should take a full medical history and examine your health records before informing you of any impact this might have on the surgery.
- How long will the procedure take? Most are carried out on a day surgery basis, meaning you’ll be in and out of the doctor’s office in just a few hours.
- What are the different types of surgeries and implanted lenses? Today’s procedures can be carried out using a specialist laser or with more traditional procedures. Your surgeon should explain which he will use according to your needs. The type of lens, or IOL, will depend on the unique characteristics of your eye, your lifestyle, and expectations after surgery. There are multiple types, including accommodative, multifocal, and toric implants. The choice should be made after a mutual agreement between you and your cataract surgeon.
Worried About Cataracts? Contact the WBEC Today
When it comes to cataract diagnosis, monitoring, and the latest in cutting-edge surgical procedures, there’s no one better qualified than Brent Bellotte MD. of the West Boca Eye Center. Not only does this consummate professional offer unparalleled expertise, but he truly understands the worries that every person undergoes when treating their precious eyesight.
A global leader in cutting-edge cataract surgery, the WBEC welcomes patients from local, national, and international locations—individuals who demand the utmost in cataract care combined with professional expertise and the calm confidence that results in a stress-free experience and the best possible outcome.
Discover more at https://westbocaeyecenter.com/why-choose-us/ and call to book your initial appointment today.